Monday, December 1, 2008

Let's try this again

I always think about continuing to write in this blog but quickly get lost in piles of toys (work). So I am officially attempting to put effort in. Instead of cleaning up the room, I sit here in slight disgust with my OCD twitching and catch up on the happenings of being in a toy library.


It has been busy. VERY busy. But the circulation doesn't show it. All I know is this place is always a mess and I can't keep up with the donations, returns and straightening up. I try. I drink my red bull and try.


There is a new group of children coming into the library after school and on weekends. I like to call them the naughty bunch; individually I call them all trouble. I may be adding to their complex... I'm not sure. All I know is that they come in here and disrespect every other child and adult in here, myself included. After telling a child to get off a bike since he was too big for it he told me he was going to punch me in the face. I go home twitching. Officially. It's bad enough that the Elmo song is stuck in my head a majority of the time, but now every time I hear a crashing sound I look up in despair hoping that one of my shelving units isn't lying on top of a child.


The point is... I want to know when children became so disrespectful. When the adults stop caring? I don't mean to generalize, because I have met plenty of great parents and children. I have moms who come in here that I absolutely adore, children also. But then there are some days where I am amazed I didn't have a conniption fit in the middle of the room and crumble to the floor crying. That is dramatic. I am trying to teach these kids that I am indeed not the enemy. I just have rules in the toy library because I have to. Because I don't want them to get hurt, I don't want my toys to get hurt and most of all I don't want to yell at kids because they feel the need to climb all over my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment